PHYS 301 Electricity and
Fall Semester 2017
Dr. Gregory W. Clark
Department of Physics
Office: SCIC112, Phone: 982 - 5071
Things to know for exam 1
Things to know for exam 2
Useful E&M Links
* HW 6
[Due: F, 22 Sept 2017]
- Read: Griffiths 1.5 - 1.6 and 2.1; listen to Pencast00 and PenCast 01 [on Canvas]
- Work Griffiths problems 1.34, 1.35, 1.55
- Additional Questions:
- AQ1: Write down Faraday's Law in differential form. In electrostatics, the magnetic field (and flux) is constant so the right hand side of Faraday's law is zero (see eqn. 2.20 in the text). Now look at the two possible electric fields given in problem 2.20 (p. 80 of the text). Determine which, if any, of these is a possible electrostatic field.
- AQ2: Write down Gauss' Law of Magnetism in differential form. Look at the two vector (electric) fields given in problem 2.20. Could vector fields with either of these forms be magnetic fields? Justify your answer!
* HW 5
[Due: T, 19 Sept 2017]
- Read: Griffiths 1.3 - 1.4
- Work Griffiths problems 1.29, 1.30, 1.32 (b) & (c), 1.56 (just the line integral, for now!)
* HW 4
[Due: F, 15 Sept 2017]
- Read: Griffiths 1.3, 1.4
- Work Griffiths problems 1.20, 1.25 (a), 1.26 (a - c), 1.27, 1.28 [For these last two, prove for any arbitrary function!], 1.32 (a)
* HW 3 [Due: T, 12 Sept 2017]
- Read: Griffiths 1.3
- Work Griffiths problems 1.15, 1.16, 1.18
- Additional question:
- AQ1: Compute the following sums (B. is extra credit!). Write out all terms explicitly and then justify any that you set to zero.
* HW 2
[Due: F, 8 Sept 2017]
* HW 1 [Due: T, 5 Sept 2017]
- Read: Griffiths 1.3
- Work Griffiths problems 1.5, 1.7, 1.11, 1.12, 1.13 (a & b)
- Read: Griffiths 1.1 – 1.2 + Advert (pp. xi – xv)
- Work Griffiths problems 1.3, 1.4
- Do additional questions: Complete the handout on "Vectors and Vector Products"
PPT Slides Class use of electronic devices
Errata (corrections) to the textbook:
Griffiths Errata ED4a
Griffiths Errata ED4b
VectorFieldPlots in 3D
General Physics Homework Checklist
General Physics I Knowsheet
General Physics II Knowsheet
If you would like to purchase Maple 16 at the
student discount rate, you can do so from the
To get the discounted price, you will need a Promotion Code. This code is available on the CANVAS site for this course.
my main web page.