The overall goal is to synthesize and expand on
what you, as English major have been studying as "text." You have seen
what words can do, how they relate to themselves, and how they shape stories.
In order to deepen the understanding of the uses of language you will study
theories of oral literature and narratology. The narrow focus will explore
how language is used for poetic and scientific purposes.
Genres included: essay, poetry, storytelling, drama, novel, short fiction.
* To prepare students for their next career passage.
* Students will read widely and deeply.
* Preparing for Professional Presentations: Literature Review. Abstract Writing. Paper of 10 pages.
* Refining the Skill of Argumentation and Creative Writing
* Thinking about the need for the boundary between
the Oral and the Written.
*Short response papers (written for a variety of purposes and audiences).
* Discussion Initiatives
* Oral Research Report
* Extended Research Project
* Presentation of discoveries at academic event
Aristotle's Rhetoric and Poetics
Silko, Storyteller or Ceremony
Levi or Frankl: Holocaust Narratives
Giron: Edith Stein
An Anthology of essays, narratives, poems... not decided on final choice yet
Auslaender and most recent work in poetry
Compilation of Readings on 9-11. (Included Alice Walker)
Dimed and Nickled or other text that reflects on most recent understanding of "work."
Writing Technology (digitalizing writing)... (I
will know the text later)